- John had been a volunteer since 1973.
- Committee member of Bush Grove Badminton Club from 1973 until 2008.
- Organises coaching sessions for beginners and club players within Middlesex since 1975.
- Organised County squad sessions for the last 10 years as a Committee Member and as Chairman of Selectors until 2010.
- Chairman of Tournament Sub Committee since 1992 and has been Referee for both Junior and Senior County Restricted Tournaments as well as all Middlesex/Badminton England Senior Open Tournaments held within the County.
- Member of Middlesex County Executive Committee since 1997 and became Chairman of the Committee in 2002 a position he still holds today.
- A Middlesex County representative on the London 4 Counties Badminton Group.
- Involved in the setting up of a London Junior Badminton League.
- Been an umpire for the last 21 years umpiring tournaments all over the UK and Europe.
- Volunteer since 1975 at the All England Badminton Championships at Wembley and Birmingham. Also umpiring at the event.
- Volunteer at the Badminton World Champion ships in 1993 & 2003.
- National and European Referee and has officiated at tournaments locally and nationally since 1997.
- Member of Badminton England Tournament Policy since 2010.