- Martin has been a volunteer since 1960.
- Member of Highgate Harriers he started to help the club by officiating in 1960 and continued as a qualified Track Official, Field Event Official and Timekeeper.
- In the 1960s for several years he organised the Highgate Harriers Schools Cross Country Relay, believed to be the oldest CC Relay in the World.
- Over the last forty or so years has organised many cross country and road race courses.
- Junior then Senior Team Manager for Highgate Harriers.
- Club Secretary for 10 years.
- In 1980, Highgate's101st year, he was elected as Club President.
- For several years in the 60's and early 70's he assisted with the cross country courses for the London Federation of Boys Clubs, occasionally acting as 'hare' and was presented with a Federation tie for his efforts.
- Has been secretary of the North of the Thames CC Association, and President of both the North London CC and North of the Thames CC Associations.
- For several years was on the Middlesex County Committee.
- Still continues to officiate at track and field meetings and referee both cross country and road race events.
- Worked as a committee member of the South of England Athletic Association and sits on the English Cross Country Association's Committee.
- Chairman of the Cross Country Working Group of the SEAA organising Championship events in the South.
- Peer Group Representative for Endurance for the London Region of England Athletics and I am a tutor for Level 2 Endurance Officials.
- Recently been chosen by the England Athletics London Region to be awarded for Service to Officiating.
- President of the English Cross Country association for this year 2011/12.